Monday, April 11, 2011

Crab Louis

Since my liver and onions yesterday wasn't such a hit with most of my friends ... I thought tonight I'd go the seafood route because it is so fresh and plentiful here in Florida.  Not wanting to put a LOT of effort into dinner for one, and having picked up a container of jumbo lump crabmeat, I developed a craving for Crab Louis.

What is it?  
Many historians believe that the salad began appearing on menus of finer West Coast establishments between the turn of the 20th century and World War I. Other historians suggest that the salad was named after King Louis XIV who was known for his enormous amounts of food he could eat. I prefer to believe it was named for King Louis -- thus it is a "dish of kings" -- or in my case queens! lol!!

The crab is traditionally placed on a bed of good lettuce (I'm using baby greens) with hard boiled eggs, chopped tomato and asparagus spears surrounding it.  The dressing is made with mayonnaise, red chili sauce, minced green onions, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper and served on the side.  Since it's just me eating, I'll pour that right on the crab!!

No comments:

Post a Comment