Wednesday, December 12, 2012

English Toffee -- tradition!

Every year at this time I make up a batch of English Toffee -- American style ... So yesterday I pulled out the recipe to make sure I had everything.  The recipe is printed out from an email message dated December 24th, 2000 ... from my lovely friend Steph Winn.  She said it was all right for me to share with you all so here it is.  I gotta tell you, family and friends and co-workers of all of the above look forward to seeing the tins come their way!


Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do!!

1 pound of butter
2 cups of sugar
5 tablespoons of water

Put this all in a good sized pot and bring to a boil.  Now, you can be precise and use a candy thermometer to the "hard crack" stage, or you can do what we do and just keep stirring until it's the color of a brown paper bag.  I like to make it to a medium brown paper bag ... the darker it is the crackier it is ... is that a word? lol!!

Pour this boiling mix onto a buttered sheet -- I use a jelly-roll pan which is about 13 x 15 inches ... I don't like it too thick ... or too thin!  Spread the toffee out so it's about even in the pan, but you might get some thicker pieces or thinner pieces ... but it is all good!!

Be careful ... nothing hotter than boiling sugar!!

Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, and spread them as they melt on the toffee.  And before the chocolate sets, sprinkle with some sliced almonds. (I did find some dark chocolate chips this year that I want to try!)

When everything has set and cooled, start breaking the toffee into pieces.  Don't bother trying to cut it ... won't happen!

Thanks, Steph for 12 years o toffee!!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment