Thursday, February 3, 2011

African Violet Fever

Back in the 1970s I learned how to make new little violet plants from leaves and had a wonderful window bench that just loved my violets and so I grew dozens of them!  I had no idea at the the time that violets had names or actual descriptions in a database ,,, I just knew that I was thrilled to pieces when little tiny "mouse ears" appeared in the little leaves I had planted in the perfect California window seat...and they grew and flourished and flowered and all was right in my California world of flowers and veggies and tennis.

Then came the 80s and while still struggling to find my feet, I had tons of houseplants of all sorts ... but no violets.  I did live in a wonderful house in Westchester County, NY, but here most of growing was of the outside variety -- fruits and veggies with a few flowers thrown in for color, but no real opportunity for my orchids or violets. We did, however, have the MOST awesome vegetable garden I've ever known!  But how many tons of broccoli should a person really be exepcted to eat? lol!  Peter, you did an amazing job!


And moving onto the 90s, I had a huge house with it's own plant room and plant stands that should have been the envy of all who viewed! lol!!  I had wall to wall;/ ceiling to floor stands with lights and could grow anything!  So was born my vegetable garden and grow beds ( which I was so happy to share with my next door neighbor) as well as another opportunity to start my flats of
African Violet leaves.

Well, the garden was a huge success with lots of great veggies, but the violets had barely gotten seated and established when once again we were off to parts unknown ... and though some of my lovely colors remained, I lost a good number of them on the nove to Vermont.

With all that went between there and here, it matters not.  For today I have three new violet plants and along with my best friend cousin Kimberley, we'll start our new African Violet empire :) or at least we'll having some growing!!

LInda

No comments:

Post a Comment