Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Asian Noodles

If you haven't yet tried Pampered Chef, go online and look for someone in your area! It's a line of stoneware, cookware, and gadgetry that is unequaled! I've been buying it for years and have never seen a piece of Pampered Chef that I didn't love ... So, I went to a Pampered Chef party a couple of weeks back and this time instead of stoneware I decided to give their titanium-coated skillets a try. As that little Taco Bell dog says, "I think I'm in love!" Got two pieces, the 8" skillet and the HUGE deep wok-style skillet. Wooohoooo ... I can flip an omelet again! and I made my favorite Asian Noodles without everything ending up all over the stove top! Stacey is my Pampered Chef person -- click on this link to see my new skillets! And don't forget to order your cinnamon and Asian spice while you're there -- best cinnamon I ever tasted!

Here's my recipe for Asian Noodles:

6 oz boneless pork tenderloin or chicken breast cut into 2" x 1/4" strips
Marinate them covered for 10 minutes (can be more) with a mixture of
2 T Chinese rice wine, dry sherry, or good table white wine
2 t hoisin sauce
1/2 t cornstarch

Combine 3 T dark soy sauce, 2 T oyster sauce, 1 T low-sodium soy sauce and 1/2 t sugar. Mix with whisk or fork. Set this aside.

For wok cooking, you want to put ingredients in from the longest to cook to the most delicate. I generally use broccoli, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots and whatever else might be leftover in the refrigerator. Chop the vegetables up into bite-sized pieces and set aside. You also want 3 cups of chopped Napa cabbage (Chinese cabbage)

Cook 1 pound of fresh Asian-style wheat noodles. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again and set aside. The rest of the preparations will go fast ...

Heat a couple of teaspoons of olive oil (my favorite), canola oil or peanut oil in your wok over high heat. Stir-fry broccoli, mushrooms and bamboo shoots until the colors are bright and they smell wonderful. Put them on a plate and set aside.

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil on high heat and stir-fry cabbage for 2 minutes -- it will wilt a lot!. Set aside, wipe out the skillet and ...

Heat another teaspoon of oil on high and toss in a teaspoon of minced garlic and stir for about 10 seconds. Add pork or chicken mixture (sauce included) and stir-fry about 3 minutes. Put the meat with the cabbage.

Now you're really hungry and the smells are fantastic! Last step! Wipe out your wok and heat 1 tablespoon of oil on high heat. Stir in reserved cooked noodles and stir-fry about a minute. Add a cup of chopped green onions and the soy sauce mixture, cooking about a minute. Add the pork or chicken back in, stir to combine, and feed the hungry masses.

3 comments:

  1. Linda,

    In this recipe, when did you cook the pork? I thought maybe I overlooked that. Is the meat already precooked?

    Thanks,

    Joyce in the
    beautiful Ozark Mountains
    in northern Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I make a fried rice dish like this only I add a little bit of orange juice as well. I learned that from that little chinese bistro I used to work for :)

    I'll have to try this this week! Thanks! Love you :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, the pork is cut into little strips and cooks really really fast. It's cooked last, and in the next-to-last paragraph is where I toss it in.

    Hope that helps!

    Jenn ... great tip on the orange juice!! thanks!! and I love you, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete