Monday, March 8, 2010

My Challenge This Week

Realizing that I'm not having a lot of success with food these days, I picked up my "how to" books for some tips on managing meals.  While keeping track of what I eat isn't a problem, I'm so easily bored with cooking the same things -- and I really hate leftovers!  So, my challenge for the week is to do some menu planning for the week,   trying to plan meals that are small enough to feed the two of us, but offer some variety and use some of the same ingredients so I don't end up with a ton of veggies and meat hanging around waiting for my next inspiration!

Trying to get in 90 grams of protein, while sticking to three meals and two snacks is really hard!!  Not to mention that I have this enormous sweet tooth that needs a fix!!  There are some great ice creams over on the world according to eggface, my favorite small-stomach resource, but I haven't invested in an ice cream maker yet.  In the meantime, I do really well with sugar free Popsicles and sugar free puddings.  But back to my meals.

Yesterday one of my quilter friends was talking about a new soup recipe that sounded fantastic.  Now, I'm not really a soup eater, but I thought I could turn the soup into a meal, so that's what's for dinner tonight.

Here's my Mexican Soup ... Hold the Soup Recipe
Can of Black Beans
Can of corn (I am using some frozen that I put up ... you need about a cup)
Can of Rotele spicy tomatoes
1 cup cooked shredded chicken
red onion chopped
garlic chopped
salt and pepper and cilantro if desired
sour cream to top it
shredded Mexican style cheese for topping

Saute the onion and garlic until soft.  Add spices.  Add the chicken and heat through, Stir in beans, corn and tomatoes and heat through.  Serve with or without flour tortilla.  Top with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Well, that's one meal planned ... leftovers for lunch tomorrow!  Now off to plan the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment