Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cheese Varieties

Who knew that there was a day of the year devoted just to varieties of cheese??  With this new stomach of mine, cheese is one of my best friends -- and it's a good thing I love cheese!

Do you have a favorite?  Are you a died in the wool cheese-aholic or more pedestrian with cheddar, American and cream cheese being your favorites?

Ever tried goat cheese? yummmmm !!!  Saute chicken breasts in butter and olive oil ... add a little chicken broth, some sundried tomatoes and a little package if goat cheese and serve this up to your next company!!

With the exceptionally hot weather this summer I'm practically living on garden tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion, feta cheese and olive oil salads -- don't forget to sprinkle Mediterranean oregano and kosher salt on top! And there is always the French favorite: slices of rich warm beefsteak tomatoes layered on a platter with slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella and sprinkled with basil leaves fresh from the garden.  Does anything say summer better than that??!!

Love Fontina?  Know the difference in Dutch Fontina and Italian Fontina?

For your next occasion, try using the cheese selector to find something different! n Today, head for your local cheese market and go on an international cheese tour!

P.S.  I found a new salad favorite while lunching with my Aunt today -- fresh peaches, fresh strawberries, baby greens (love the organic Italian baby greens from the grocer's!), toasted walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese with a raspberry vinaigrette  dressing!  I had to stop to get some Gorgonzola at the market on my way home!

2 comments:

  1. goat cheese with a fig spread and water crackers...yum!! Plus it looks gorgeous. I love cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Jenni!! And I figured out that blue cheese dip I think: cream cheese, a little jar of Kraft Roka Blue cheese (have you ever seen those little jars? comes in English cheddar, olive and pimiento, etc.), container of crumbled blue cheese and toasted pecans. Use whipping cream to thin if needed. Try it and let me know if it works!

    ReplyDelete