Thursday, July 22, 2010

Penuche Fudge Day!!

When it's 100 degrees plus, I rarely think about making or even eating FUDGE!  For me, fudge seems to be a cooler weather goodie, but when I saw the food holiday for today my sweet tooth went into overdrive!!  Now I NEED some penuche!!  Never had it you say?  Somewhere in my childhood memories I can hear my grandmother talking about this sweet buttery, butterscotchy, maply goodness and when I had my first taste I was hooked!  I even made penuche frosting for a maple cake one year for competition in the Champlain Valley Exposition and came away with a big blue ribbon!!

So here's a couple of recipes to start you on your penuche discovery tour!

PENUCHE FUDGE

2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (I use dark brown but light brown works)
3/4 cup whole milk
1/8 tsp. salt
2 1/2 Tablespoons. butter
3/4 c. chopped nut meats (optional, but both pecans and walnuts work well)
1 tsp. vanilla
In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, milk, and salt; stir well. Over medium heat, bring to boil.  Continue to boil until mixture reaches 244 degrees on a candy thermometer (firm ball stage), stirring frequently.

Remove from heat and place pan immediately into sink with cold water in bottom, just enough for pan to sit in 2-3 inches. This will stop the cooking. Without stirring, add butter and vanilla. When you can comfortably put finger into mixture, stir mixture until it starts to thicken and add nut meats. Spread in 8 inch buttered pan and let set until firm. (If you line your pan with parchment paper hanging over the edge, then butter the parchment, you can lift the whole pan of fudge out for cutting -- and a pizza wheel works great for that!!)

PENUCHE FROSTING

1/2 cup butter (use butter if you can)
1 cup brown sugar, packed (I like dark brown, but light brown works too)
1/4 cup milk
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, more or less

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium  and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar. Beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.Enough frosting for a two layer cake :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Linda. I remember my mother making it too!!

    ReplyDelete