Friday, February 12, 2010

Food on my mind!

Yesterday was one month since my surgery and I'm feeling good! Down 29 pounds since I started this journey and have dropped into some clothes I haven't seen in a couple of years. Got the "green light" to move from "mushy" foods to "real" foods, with the caution to take small bites and go slowly. I'm working on coming up with dishes that work well for me (i.e., high protein!) and are tasty and healthy and things that Howard likes, too. Fortunately he's easy to please in the dietary arena!

Wednesday I roasted an eggplant and layered it with chicken and ricotta cheese topped with marinara sauce and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese. Yummmm!!

Partially peel one medium eggplant (I usually take off 1/2" strips of the skin). Slice thin. Toss with olive oil and kosher salt and roast for about a half hour.

Layer the eggplant in the bottom of a baking dish. Pound out boneless, skinless chicken breasts to about 1/4" and saute in olive oil that has some garlic in it (this is the best tasting and smelling way to cook chicken EVER!). Layer the chicken over the eggplant.

Mix a cup of ricotta cheese with an egg, fresh parsley, oregano, fresh ground pepper and 1/2 cup fresh parmesan or romano cheese. Spoon this on top of the chicken. Pour marinara sauce over the whole dish. Top with grated, part-skim mozzarella cheese and bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes until cheese has melted and browned.

While my portion was less than 1/2 cup, I enjoyed every single bite!!

Ricotta cheese is rapidly becoming my new best friend!

Yesterday I bought a filet mignon as my special treat for the weekend. I'm laughing because it will probably be enough for 4 meals these days, but I can't wait!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment